Monday, November 27, 2017

I Gusti Ngurah Rai Airport closed the impact from the ash of Mount Agung eruption

The impact of Mount Agung erupts is the movement of ash towards the airport.

Map of volcanic ash movement of Gunung Agung Bali

The eruption of Mount Agung caused the spread of ash extends. I Gusti Ngurah Rai Airport closed at 07.00 am Monday, November 27, 2017. The closure of the airport in Bali is done up to 24 hours ahead, to see the situation further related to the ash condition that led to the airport.

This closure is made through Notice to Airmen (Notam) issued at 07.15 am. Volcanic ash is known to have closed the air area of ​​Ngurah Rai Airport. Ash from volcanic eruptions is very dangerous for aircraft flight activity.

Volcanic dust has closed air space at the airport up to two levels. Visually, the thickness of volcanic ash is very thin, the particles are very small and small. This dust began to be seen at the airport since 05.30 am, Monday, November 27, 2017. Although the dust that attached to the kuru is very thin, but the air space is covered in volcanic ash.

See also:
Mount Agung erupts in Bali, the volcano is now at the highest level (Level IV)
Terrible, Mount Agung erupts with incandescent lava and explosions
In Bali there is ash rain, the impact of Mount Agung eruption
The volcano in Bali, Mount Agung erupted at 5:30 pm, 25-11-2017
The volcano in Bali Gunung Agung took a month to erupt

Lombok Airport was closed on Sunday (November 26, 2017) but was declared safe return for flight on Monday morning, November 27, 2017.
The closure of airports in Bali and Lombok due to ash coming from the eruption of Mount Agung, Ash blowing southward, to the airspace of Denpasar.

Ngurah Rai airport authorities have issued a NOTAM, which states the airport was closed for approximately 24 hours, starting from Monday (27/11/2017) 07:00 am, until Tuesday (28/11/2017) at 07:15 am.
According to a study conducted by NASA, volcanic ash could impair the functioning of propellers on turboprop or jet engines in turbofan planes, vital components in aircraft flights.

It has been proven from an incident that had been experienced by Boeing 747-200 aircraft belonging to British Airways. The plane with callsign Speedbird 9 (flight number BA09) on June 24, 1982 made a flight route Kuala Lumpur - Perth. In the middle of the journey, while crossing the island of Java, Indonesia, Speedbird 9 trapped in the middle of the ash eruption of Mount Galunggung.

The four B747 engines died from vacuuming the silica of Galunggung. The pilot then decided to lower the cruising altitude from 36,000 feet to 12,000 feet. Luckily, the pilot finally managed to re-start the engine aircraft after flying at lower altitudes and free from the siege of volcanic ash.

Very small silica dust, diameter between 6 microns to 2 mm, can be carried by the wind easily, and because ejected from the crater of the volcano, the dust can soar up to the height of roaming the plane.

Because it is so small and light, volcanic ash is difficult to remove, and takes a long time to disappear completely if action is not taken immediately. If this happens and is left, then for a long time the dust that sticks in the body or components of the aircraft can cause delicate cracks in the body of the aircraft.